We No Longer Offer Adult Day Care Facility Services

How to Pay for Long-Term Senior Care

A Few Tips from Our Care Experts

senior care payments

Studies show that 70% of seniors who are 65 years old will need some long-term care assistance and 30% will require care for more than 5 years. This responsibility is overwhelmingly assumed by family members such as children and spouses. Even with good family support, many will need additional assistance from professional caregivers to care for their loved ones.

As a senior care provider who serves hundreds of clients with supportive care, we are often asked about pay sources for services. While Medicare and insurance will pay for some medically necessary care for a limited period, more prevalent needs (such as assistance with daily living activities like bathing, dressing, and feeding) are not covered.

A majority of individuals and family members who inquire about care for their loved ones are not aware of the limited pay sources for long-term care. Fortunately, some options are available to those who qualify. Long-term care insurance is now held by over 7% of the population and can be used to pay for services should you meet the policy claim criteria (usually deficiency with 2 activities of daily living). Veteran benefits such as “Aid and Attendance” can pay for home care, adult daycare, or assisted living for veterans who served during a period of war. Another governmental program which pays for custodial care is Medicaid, should the individual have limited assets and income. Both programs are means tested and you must go through an application and assessment program to qualify.

On a more local level are various grants for Alzheimer’s and Family Caregiver grants available for respite. Even with these funding sources, a large percentage of care is paid for with family savings.

At New Generations our counselors will guide you through the process and help direct you to available resources for your loved ones care. We also help you explore the best care options whether in our Adult Daycare Center or an in-home caregiver.